10/10/07

Helvetica


Helvetica Film Program Handout
Parkland College

This is surprisingly an interesting film. I expected to see animated letters dancing across the screen. Instead I viewed an engaging film that touched on a font that has enveloped our world - its development and the passion it arouses in those who believe it is the ultimate font, to those who feel its oppressive and symbolic of government control. The film had a lot of funny moments that helped to keep the viewer's attention. I find it amazing that there are people so adamant about something that I've always taken for granted. I am also amazed at how much a single font has permeated our lives. The film showed the font's presence all over the world on everything - road signs, tax forms, clothes lines, business signs and logos, packaging... I found myself studying everything in print on my way home to see if it was Helvetica. It was.
As for the program, I ran down the list of principles we've touched on so far and this is what I see. Unity is established in the use of a single font and in the grouping of text. The focal point is the title of the movie created by contrast of font size and value. Balance is achieved by a grid. Rhythm is established by the spacing between paragraphs and the spacing between columns. The larger column seems to have a fairly regular beat while the smaller column seems to burst in spurts from the straight edge alignment similar to the graphic metre seen on the front of large stereo systems.

1 comment:

Joy Seward said...

Great review on the film! I, too, really enjoyed it. But I had many of the same responses you did. It just proves that you can make a movie about almost anything!
Did you attend by yourself? My hubby was out of town so a friend who shares my creative interests came. She enjoyed it, too. I loved the quirky humor of some of the designers!
Joy