2/6/08

Large-headed People




Workbook 26 Illustration & Design, 2004, p118.119
Eddie Guy, series of ad campaigns

Since we've been working in Photoshop, I thought I'd share these interesting ads. The exaggerated head sizes are the hooks in these designs. They go against our perceptions and people have a natural tendency to look twice at something that seems abnormal. The more you look, the more you notice. The ebay ad was fairly easy to figure out with the obvious clue on the computer screen. I got a kick out of looking at all of the typical stuff you can buy on ebay scattered around the room. I would consider the ebay ad out of balance with the big hand on the left looking like an added-on appendage to the ad. I think the other two ads are also out of balance. What do you think? Is it just because of the abnormally large heads that make me think they're out of balance ? The other two ads weren't very obvious to me what they were promoting. The man in the car is for Addidas. See the shoes and the logo on his shorts? The woman is an ad for "Bachelorette". I'm guessing that's a tv show and if you're familiar with it, you might have a better understanding of the meanings behind all of the hidden images. The bachelorette ad is interesting because there is no continuity in relative sizes of the objects. It's a completely random collage of images that have been very artfully arranged. Looking at this ad is like playing "I Spy". One thing that bothers me about this design are the obvious lines where the woman's face and arm have been cut and pasted. I wonder what the artist was purporting?

1 comment:

Drew said...

looking at these images makes me laugh! I really liked seeing Jordan on the top with a bigger head as usual...as well as the bigger shoes that just do not seem to fit too well. Also in the second image, the ladies head is so out of shape that it almost looks cartoon like to me. Overall they are all very eye catching.