10/17/08

ai


Typography 27, p57
Pratt Institute, Hsin-Yi Wu, student project

I loved this layout. The designer chose random people off the street and had them pose as letters. The paragraphs (in Garamond) on the side tell about the persons. I like how the little girl's balloon forms the dot over the i. The designer did a great job of balancing the elements. The large red i creates a strong point with the white space surrounding it helping to emphasize it. The paragraph font serves the purpose of informing while the large letters are used purely as decorative elements.

1 comment:

Miriam Martincic said...

I love figurative letters. These don't feel forced because the figures are naturally posed and the background or surrounding block sans serif frames the person and clarifies the letter form.

I made something called "The Alphabet of Sleep" that I think you'd like. One day I'd like to turn this into a book.

http://www.miriammartincic.com/alphabet.html